Joanne graduated from McMaster University with a double major, Honours Bachelor of Science in Biology & Psychology (2007). She completed her Masters in Physical Therapy from the University of Toronto (2010).
Joanne has extensive experience working within the orthopedic and sports population. As a Physiotherapist for the Pan Am Basketball Team in 2015 and for the Etobicoke Kangaroos Australian Football Club (2016, 2017), Joanne understands the importance of returning back to physical activity and fitness in one's lifestyle and is a certified Don Joy brace provider.
From postoperative conditions to strains, sprains, and tendinopathies she believes in actively engaging patients in order to achieve their specific rehabilitation goals.
As an empathetic and passionate practitioner, Joanne focuses on the root cause of injury and works collaboratively with patients in an active holistic approach using manual therapy, soft tissue techniques, exercise prescription, and physical modalities for pain control.
She is a firm believer in educating patients about their condition, providing postural correction and activity modification in order to treat and prevent re-injury thereby attaining their goals.
As an avid lifelong learner, Joanne has taken numerous postgraduate courses for movement systems and dysfunctions, specific musculoskeletal conditions (shoulder complex, lumbopelvic complex, TMJ pain), kinesiotaping (KT1& KT2), and is steadily working through her manual therapy levels with the Canadian orthopedic division.
Joanne is a certified medical acupuncture provider through McMaster Contemporary Medical Acupuncture. She has coupled this course with Functional Integrated Needling for Sports management in order to design and implement adjunct acupuncture treatment plans for pain relief and muscle activation.
Understanding the components of core muscles, Joanne has taken extensive specialized courses in Pelvic Health pertaining to urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, chronic and acute pelvic pain, gastro-intestinal disorders, and pre and post-natal conditions. She is a certified Pelvic Floor therapist and is an avid educator when it comes to core musculature including proper breathing techniques and its incorporation into rehabilitation and performance.
Outside of the Clinic, Joanne has a healthy obsession playing squash, ultimate frisbee and any High Intensity Interval Training classes/activity. She respects yoga and understands it’s the physical tax she must pay to continue quick bursts sports & activities. She enjoys defying gravity, loves hiking mountains and is an avid traveler and reader. Joanne needs assistance with her preoccupation with food, this is a cry for help. You have been warned.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Honours Bacehlor of Science, Biology & Psychology, McMaster University
- Master of Science, Physical Therapy, University of Toronto
- Soft Tissue Release
- APTEI: Shoulder Complex, Part I & II
- APTEI: Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction
- APTEI: Advanced Physical Therapy Lumbo-Pelvic Complex
- McMaster Contemporary Medical Acupuncture for Health Professionals
- Functional Integrated Needling for Sports Injury Management
- Canadian Bobath Instructor: The Study of Human Movement
- Mulligan Concept: Lower Quadrant
- Fundamentals of Kinesio taping, KT1
- Advanced Kinesio taping, KT2
- McKenzie - Mechanical Diagnosis & Therapy (MDT): Part A Lumbar Spine
- Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA)
- Fascial Distortion Model (FDM): Lower Body
- RedCord Neurac, Level I
- RedCord Neurac, Level II: Upper & Lower Body with Stimula
- Sports First Responder
- Don Joy Service Provider
- Non-Internal Introductory Pelvic Floor
- The Diaphragm/Pelvic Floor Piston for Adult Population
- Level I: The Physical Therapy Approach to Male & Female Urinary Incontinence
- Level II: Female and Male Pelvic Pain
- Pregnancy & the Pelvic Floor
- Pelvic Girdle Pain & the Pelvic Floor
- Level III: Clinical Skills for Treating Pain
- The Female Athlete: Bulletproof your Core & Pelvic Floor
- Gastrointestinal Disorders & the Pelvic Floor
- The Use of Pessaries for Pelvic Organ Prolapse in Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation
- Member of Canadian Physiotherapy Association
- Member of Orthopedic and Sports Division
- Member of Women's Health Division
BEST PIECE OF ADVICE SHE'S EVER RECEIVED:
You miss 100% of the chances you are too afraid to take.
Failure to plan is planning to fail.
Understanding over Judgement.
Progress over perfection.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
AREAS OF FOCUS:
- Pelvic Health
- Repetitive Strains & Sprains & Tendinopathies
- Lumbopelvic Dysfunctions
- Don Joy Brace Fitting