Briana has experience treating various orthopaedic and sports related injuries ranging from ligament sprains/muscle strains to rehabilitation for fractures and post-operative conditions.
From 2013-2015, Briana worked in an orthopaedic clinic, working closely with two orthopaedic surgeons who specialized in knee arthroscopic surgery. She provided pre-operative and post-operative rehabilitation for patients with ACL tears/repairs, meniscus tears/repairs, MCL sprains, and Osteoarthritis (OA). Here she also gained significant experience in administering shockwave therapy for conditions including: plantarfasciitis, tendinopathies, bony conditions (eg. Osgoode Schlatters), and for myofascial release. Briana provides cybex strength testing and training for various knee injuries including post-operative conditions.
In addition to her experience providing physiotherapy for knee injuries, Briana developed a special interest in rehabilitation for shoulder injuries (sports related and post-surgical). Briana completed the “Mastering the Shoulder” Level 1 and Level 2 course (instructed by Cameron Bennett) and has found this method of diagnosis and active rehabilitation to be an integral part of her rehabilitation of shoulder related injury. She continues to pursue further coursework on shoulder rehabilitation.
Briana has a background in dance and a keen interest in rehabilitation for the fine arts. She attended the Pia Bouman School for Ballet and Creative Movement where she completed her grade 8 medal, pre-professional advanced foundation examinations in RAD ballet. She attended Etobicoke School of the Arts as a dance major where she furthered her studies in ballet and modern dance. Briana has completed rehabilitation for several of her own injuries and understands the importance of active rehabilitation for full return to sport. Her current training includes: running, pilates, and weight training.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Kinesiology, McMaster University
- Master of Physiotherapy (MPhty), The University of Sydney
- Contemporary Medical Acupuncture, McMaster University
- Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA 1)
- Functional Movement Screen (FMS 1 & 2)
- Active Release Techniques (ART), Lower
- Fascial Distortion Model (FDM) - Upper/Lower/Advanced
- The Running Clinic, New Trends in the Prevention of Running Injuries
- Mastering the Shoulder - Level 1 & 2
- Sport First Responder Certified, Sport Physiotherapy Canada (SPC)/Canadian Red Cross
- Mulligan Concepts, Upper Quadrant
- Kinesiotaping - Level 1 & 2
- Member of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA), Orthopaedic and Sport Division
BEST PIECE OF ADVICE SHE'S EVER RECEIVED:
"Change happens through movement and movement heals." - Joseph Pilates
"Patience and persistence are vital qualities in the ultimate successful accomplishment of any worthwhile endeavour." - Joseph Pilates
AREAS OF FOCUS:
- Special Interest: Knee and Shoulder, including Pre and Post-Surgical Rehab
- Shockwave Therapy
- Cybex Testing